A59 Active Handling Building was a Safety Category 1 facility constructed for the post-cirradiation examination of reactor fuel. The facility Contained two concrete-shielded cave line suites, lead-shielded cells, a pressurised suit area and a decontamination bay. Nuvia was awarded the contract to decommission and demolish the whole building, including the removal of the concrete caves.
- Nuvia's strategy dealt with high levels of radiation
- Effective characterisation and decontamination reduced overall waste levels
- 1,000Te of concrete waste was crushed, monitored and disposed of
- Upon completion of the decommissioning Nuvia remediated the site back to a brownfield
- First Category 1 facility to be completely decommissioned in the UK